Wednesday, October 03, 2007

Dancing To The Stars

Do you know what today is? It's October 3rd and one of the most special dates in my memory bank. October 3rd was the date I took my first ballet/tap lesson as a young girl. I begged my parents for months to let me take lessons after I had attended my neighbors recital. I was immediately bitten! Of course, I was dancing long before I took lessons but this was the real deal! I wanted to be under the lights,wearing beautiful costumes and moving gracefully to music that moved my soul.

Being one of nine children is one of the things I love most about who I am, but when it came to being able to participate in extra curricular activities being one of nine was often our nemesis. What seemed like a perfectly normal request became a major proposition to gain approval for my lessons. "Miss Joan" taught in her home in our neighborhood. She was really a phenomenal teacher in more ways than I can count. By teaching in her home, she gave opportunities to hundreds of little prima donna's that went through her back door and down the stairs in hopes of becoming a star. When I began my lessons with her, they were only $1.00 per week, but that dollar meant a lot to my parents who were already stretching a budget tighter than glad wrap on a bowl of leftover goulash. They simply didn't have it to give, but still found a way. They even asked me if I was still interested in taking lessons if it meant I couldn't participate in the recital due to costs. I answered with a resounding "yes!" as my heart sang, "Gotta Dance".

So there I was on October 3rd, in my pink tights and black leotard standing swayback at the ballet bar with 10 other swayback ballerinas. I didn't have ballet shoes yet as it wasn't in the budget, but it didn't matter. From my first plie' to my last releve, I was hooked. This first lesson began many years of dancing that took me through my high school graduation and beyond. Nine recitals followed that first lesson and I was able to participate in every one of them. My first pair of ballet shoes were a Christmas gift that year that sealed my fate. Eventually I began to earn money to help pay for my lessons and dancing shoes I needed by babysitting as much as I could. My mother spent countless hours from year one through year nine sewing thousands of costumes to help keep the costs down too. I can still see her under her spotlight hunched over her sewing machine that was whirring late into the night making sure every stitch was just right.

Those lessons took me a long way into life by giving me an appreciation for music and dance I might otherwise have never known. Miss Joan taught us poise, grace and to smile no matter what steps your feet might be missing. That's a lesson to be used in daily life, isn't it?

No matter what your circumstances are, no matter where you are in life,


"The Show Must Go On."

No comments: