Wednesday, May 16, 2007

Flushed and Fuming....

I should have known when the electric percolator (yes, an old fashioned percolator) wouldn't perk my coffee this morning that it was going to be a "day". My trusty vehicle and I were on our way for an oil change, flushes and filter changes. My maintenance was WAY overdue on my '93 van and so I had the best intentions today to treat her right. I set out extra early before work just for the occasion.

I pulled up and went right into the stall and "my oil tech" went about his business. I was having the deluxe version which would cost me more than I originally planned to spend but when my tech showed me my power steering fluid and my totally grungy air filter I knew I had to give her some TLC. Why, I even sprung for new wiper blades! My radar was up as I was keeping an eye on the clock and my tech told me I would be out in 15 minutes. No problem! My tech also lay the new wiper blades on the windshield over the appropriate arm blades and would change them once everything else was completed and he could close the hood.

As my tech began to wrap things up and check all the fluids he asked me to go ahead and start the car. I turned the key with a flair ready to rejoice in the new energy she would have and heard nothing but a "click". Everyone stopped and looked as he asked me to try again. "Click". From where I sat I could see the hands of my tech fingering over all the surfaces quickly as if he was thinking "this can't be happening". Meanwhile, he asked me again to try and start the car and "click" echoed throughout the stall. I'm not sure if it was my temper or bile beginning to rise but something just wasn't feeling right as I sat in my van sure that my composure appeared intact. My tech's boss came over and ran his fingertips all over the engine area again as a blind man would speed read braille. He peeked out at me from behind the hood and asked me how old my battery was. I replied that it had been replaced about 1 to 2 years ago. He said "well they aren't making them like they used to" and I most likely needed a new battery or possibly a starter.

"WHAT???" When I drove in here she was perfectly fine!

Now, up until that point I felt that I was being quite patient and genteel. Suddenly I was hissing like a cat and spatting with tech boss. Oh the redhead that lives in me! He hissed back that they didn't touch or do anything that would be part of the engine problem that my van was experiencing. All I know is she was flushed and I was fuming. Tech boss and I retreated to our mutual corners without moving a muscle. My tech and Tech boss continued to try to figure out how they were going to get me out of their bay and I was just as quickly on the phone to my office to let them know of my little dilemma and that I wasn't sure if I'd be late or out all day. During my conversation, tech boss called someone else and the next thing I knew another tech guy from across the street was checking under the hood and turning the key several times quickly and determined the problem to be the starter. Suddenly with a quick key turn the car started and I was more than relieved. My tech pleasantly continued to go about getting my van done as quickly as possible as other trusting souls were lining up waiting for a flush. I could see tech boss giving him the look to get me out! Finally, my tech set me free and suggested that I go across the street where the starter man would look at my engine, make recommendations and also give me a little discount for the possible replacement of my starter.

I quickly pulled forward to exit but I couldn't go directly across the street. The exit required me to turn right, go down the street a piece and turn around so that I could enter the driveway on the opposite side. As I proceeded to try and maneuver through all these frustrations I made a turn and suddenly the new wiper blades went flying across the road! My tech never put them on! In the commotion and urgency to get the fuming redhead out, he forgot to swap the blades.

To close this long and drawn out escapade, suffice it to say that later that day my tech, tech boss and I all had a conversation in which I apologized for spewing at them in my frustration. As I made my apology I explained that I was new in the area and all I could see were dollar bills flying out of my wallet. Tech boss said he was sorry too and asked me to accept his apology as he realized he was a bit short with me too. He also said that they were my guys for any work or recommendations for future work needing to be done.

All being said and done, I have a happy van that was flushed, I quit fuming and I HAVE GUYS!!

Who could ask for anything more?

2 comments:

Kathy said...

First of all I didnt' know you even drank coffee. AND, I am so glad that you now, "have guy!" You are quite a clever writer!

Anonymous said...

But what about a starter? Or is that another adventure to write about?
:) The Piggy Bank Kid